Friday, December 15, 2006

Music: Luther Vandross | Dance with my Father

Undoubtedly reminded me how my dad used to carry me upstairs to bed, whilst I pretended to be asleep. Or when he would come into my room when I told him I felt unwell and take his hand over my forehead to the back of my head. When he'd call me 'debit'. When I used to suppor Man United, he'd purposely take the mick when they were losing... Cricket... His cap.. His Trainers... his Joker-like smile... his Honda Accord... his GOLD TOOTH... shopping for groceries... he mole on his right cheek & the one on his forehead... "con-for-table"... his 'trendy' glasses... heated cups of super-strong tea... custard creams... going to work on a late shift, then meeting me in the morning (still awake for doing last minute assignments)... when he first picked Tigger up... biting my cheeks... his grey beard... his snoring... playing with Tigger getting tigger angry... the houses... his determination... his greetind when he met someone, it was like he'd not met them for years, even if it was just yesterday..."OH HELLO! Mr. J!!" (my dad's best mate)... noticing when I was upset (only he knew when I was upset)... telling me off after he's been nagged by mum :O) ... hugging my mum... 'Whats Valentines?'... His Shirwani... Giving marriage advice + TQ... when he brought me that 'Anna-Kart Kitchen' for Eid (when I was 6)... his Samsung... £50 in a Birthday card... his face when I told him I failed my A'Levels... his face when I passed my Driving Test on Eid & he opened the door... Hmm, his face when I told him I passed my degree with a 2.1... shouting at my brother (not me - mwah hahaha) when we were fighting... when he laughed after I crashed the sunny... saying the 'F' word after someone tried road rage!... driving me to and from the train station for Uni... driving me to work (cpw)... asking me to marry TQ when he found out about his illness... the pipe being cut into him to take our the excess fluid... "Most men are lucky to have just one woman in their life to love them... I have 3 who I know loved me dearly... My Mother (May Allah grant her Jannah Al-Firdous.. My Wife.. and My Daughter"... The tears he didn't cry when he knew he was to die... his strength of character... Ouch! His slaps!!... taking me to Homeopathy for treatment of Excema (5-7 years old)... Dad, Grandfather and Uncle JB sitting and chatting whenever they got together... Eid... Kit Kat... Banana Milkshakes... 2 bikes - Coco + Nitro... Building the extension... Building the Garage... Quaker Oats... His Curly hair... his arguements with my mum for cutting his curly hair off!... his big eyes... his hands... his feet... his final meal - Boiled rice and Dhaal... His 'if its broke, then fix it' attitude... praying in the doorway... the last Shawwal fasts ("Ssh.. don't tell your mum I'm doing these fasts...!")... Taking my 3T tape... calling from work to check cricket scores on teletext... kissing his prickly stubble...

If I could steal one final glance of him... I'd love to pray with my father again, recite the Qur'an under him... I'd make a du'a that it would never end.

No comments: